Tuesday, September 9, 2008

preschool, apples and pie


I've done this with all my children. The year before they start kindergarten I keep them at home and do our own preschool. We have a lot of fun and can work at any pace that suits us. This "home school" is always supplemented by a "joyschool" with our friends of the same age. It's funny how some of us have done it through the years; always having children around the same age.
Well, this year is Gracie's turn. At home, we always begin the school year by learning about apples. It's a great theme to jump start learning. In joyschool, we always begin with the letter "A"...naturally leading to apples:) The children have a great time together and learn some fun things in the process.

Banks, Emily, Gracie, Sophia and Annie (Hallie is out of town)

So, all this apple stuff has me in the kitchen wishing fall would come a few weeks early. I have some apples and some time to bake...how 'bout some pie? Last May, I participated in a dessert auction at our church. My contribution was a Pie of the Month club. The winner of the auction would get a pie each month for a whole year. It's been fun to bake the pies and know the money is helping the youth program. This month's pie is apple, so I got to work. I rarely ever make anything for someone else without making it for my family, too. Two pies at once is not that difficult. It's really as easy as, well, apple pie. OK, lame joke:)




Apple Pie:

5 or 6 large apples, preferably Granny Smith and Fuji

1 TBSP lemon juice

1 cup sugar

1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. grated nutmeg

1/4 cup flour

3 TBSP butter, cut in pieces

Double pie crust

Roll one half of pie dough to fit pie dish, lay in dish and trim the crust. Peel, core and cut apples. I use the Apple Peeler, Corer, Slicer from Pampered Chef. It's such a great tool for this pie. Toss the cut apples with lemon juice in a large bowl. Add sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and flour. Toss together in bowl. Pour into pie dish. Dot with the butter. Roll out other half of dough. Carefully lay on top of pie. Trim, seal and flute the edges. I use leftover dough scraps to make cut-out appliqués for the top of the pie. Cute, huh? Cut slits in top of pie. Brush the top crust with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake 375* for about 45 minutes or more. The pie juices should be starting to bubble from the crust when done. Be sure to have a baking sheet or piece of foil under the pie as it bakes. It could get messy. Let cool on wire rack. Inhale deeply. Good, isn't it?

8 comments:

Shumaker said...

Your pie looks so yummy. Joy school looks like a lot of fun. I am sure the kids are loving it. Well have fun.

Teresa said...

Oh, thank you, thank you! I am picking apples this week to can applesauce. I am totally going to make apple pie! I just need to ask, is that homemade vanilla bean?
Miss you Heidi!

jaesi said...

People in VA sure know how to make cute looking kids, and delicious apple pie!
YUM.

heidigoseek said...

teresa-
i am trying to sell a house, here!!! way too poor to afford vanilla beans for the homemade variety. that there is breyer's vanilla bean...chris's favorite:)

Janice said...

Mmm, maybe I should have been the winner of that auction! It definitely looks wonderful! I am glad Gracie is having a great time in pre pre-K.

The Barton Family said...

I wisj I was there I would have bid on that pie once a month!! I know what a great baker you are. Sorry I haven't called you, I've been in the hospital, I'll catch you up soon, hopefully tomorrow!

Little Hensley Fam said...

mmm....I miss your apple pies! enough of this already, i miss you guys you don't have to post this stuff to remind me! make sur you take an end of the yer photo so we can see how much they change in a year.

Becky said...

I got a kick out of seeing the little ones that we didn't get to meet before we moved away. That looks like an identical twin of Shelby sitting there next to Gracie!